Councilmember David Ryu’s office has informed us that the Bureau of Street Services (BSS) is set to start the first phase of the Vermont Avenue Street Improvement Project on October 26th. Funded by the Community Reinvestment Act (CRA), this project includes sidewalk repairs, ADA access ramps, new lighting, tree plantings and tree maintenance. This first phase is in preparation for installing a full traffic signal at Vermont and Russell. BSS plans on returning to the area at the beginning of 2021 to finish the project.
This first phase will affect the west side of Vermont at Russell (no work will take place on the east side of the street where businesses are located). It will include:
- Minimal sidewalk repair
- Bulb out with access ramp installation
- Installation of traffic signal (will not be activated yet)
- October 26th to November 14th (work may extend to end of November)
- Construction will be Monday to Saturday 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Crosswalk on Vermont/Russell will be closed for three weeks
- Daily southbound lane closure on Vermont from Franklin to just south of Russell, only during construction work hours
- All driveways will remain accessible including the Post Office