Author/Designer/Film Director Arnold Schwartzman’s newest book celebrates the splendor of the Griffith Observatory
In 1896 Col. Griffith J. Griffith presented a plot of land to the City of Los Angeles to be used as a place of recreation by the citizenry. Before his death, he donated funding to design and construct an observatory high on Mt. Hollywood (the observatory was ultimately placed on a lower hilltop).
The finished structure, designed by architect John C. Austin was a spectacular Art Deco-styled building. It originally opened to the public in 1935 and nearly 70 years later, the building underwent extensive restoration/reinforcement to the original structure. The Griffith Observatory finally reopened in 2006, much to the delight of many in the L.A. community.
At the Los Feliz Branch of the Los Angeles Public Library, 1874 Hillhurst Avenue, at the corner of Hillhurst & Franklin Avenue. Call 323.913.4710 for more information. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Lecture from 6:45 to 7:45 p.m. Please join us and remember, these lectures are always FREE to the public. Skylight Books will have a selection of related books for purchase.
Coming in May
Dion Neutra The Neutras, Then & Later… A story of nine decades of service.