4510 W. Finley Avenue 90027 - St. Mary of the Angels Church
4510 W. Finley Avenue 90027 Los Feliz USA
Historic-Cultural Monument, Spanish Colonial Revival
St. Mary of Angels Church
Carleton M. Winslow, architect.
Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #136, Declared 12/04/74
“Designed by Carleton M. Winslow Sr., in 1930, it is described as ‘a little jewel of architecture'”. (SEE BIO)
St. Mary of the Angels Church was designed by architect Carlton Winslow Sr., and erected in 1930. Its distinctive Mediterranean exterior, its simple Mexican chapel and its distinguished Renaissance entrance have caused the church to be described as a “little jewel of architecture.” It is interesting to note that the founding priest of the parish, The Rev. Neal Isaac Dodd, was deeply involved in the film industry. He was one of the founding members of the Board for the Motion Picture Retirement Home and also acted or directed portions of over 385 films. This fact explains the existence of what is likely the only altar dedicated to St. Genesius, the patron of actors and actresses, west of New York. The Genesius altar is located at the east transept wall near the pulpit and was used for many years to celebrate masses for departed members of the acting profession. Signed: Carl S. Dentzel, President, Cultural Heritage Board. 01/13/75A
The land and funds for the building were the benefaction of Florence Quinn. The facade is shown in the black and white photographs of the exterior in the accompanying material. The patio walls partially obstruct the view and are scheduled for reduction to the height of the patio, about 3 feet above the sidewalk. The main building seats 250 and is approximately 60 by 100 feet in dimension.The interior features a flowing rhythm of arches of varying scale, compelling the eye to move forward to the apse and the principal altar, depicted on the cover of this document. The altar reredos is the most significant art possession of the parish; it is a polyptych work of 15th century Andrea Della Robbia, featuring the Annunciation and two life-sized statues of St. John and Francis and two urns of lilies. This polyptych is a duplicate of the original and is permanently preserved in a renovated setting of marble, wrought iron, quarry tile and Italian mosaic. Terracotta ceramic art of this scale is increasingly rare. To the right of the nave is the Lady Chapel which is intimately surrounded by low beamed ceiling and the arches of the west presbytery aisle. The altar piece there is a late 17th century north Italian oil of the “Mystical Marriage of Saint Catherine”, artist unknown. Here, as throughout the Church, there are elaborately carved Stations of the Cross and stained glass windows. The intimacy of the low side arches is dramatically counterbalanced by a high beamed ceiling.
Type: Historic-Cultural Monument Sold
Area: 10,477 sqft
Lot Size: 11,200 sqft
Year Built: 1930/1948