2648 N. Commonwealth Avenue 90027
2648 N. Commonwealth Avenue 90027 Los Feliz USA
Raphael Soriano, architect. “Schrage House”
Original owner: David and Riva Schrage.
Sterling Ploeser bought property on 04/17/40 $2,880. David M. and Riva Schrage on 10/17/49 $4,000. (Source: County Assessors 19461950 Book 222, p. 910)
Original estate of Sterling Ploeser was on 3 lots that were divided on his death. (This information is believed to come from Soriano’s records) Original address was 2650 N. Commonwealth Av. Subdivision: Estate of Sterling L. Ploeser to Chester R. Ploeser to David Schrage, 10/06/49. Date of Construction: 1951 & 1952. Occupancy 08/15/52. Raphael Soriano: Architect & General Contractor.
Owners: David and Riva Schrage, 8/15/52. Wolfgang C. Hallauer, 06/07/65. Larry Sullivan, 01/03/79. Grover L. McKean & Judith Laing McKean, 01/07/82. Steve and Marian Dodge, 12/26/86.
Published in: Esther McCoy, The Second Generation; Los Angeles Times Home Magazine, 04/06/58 has photos by Julius Shulman.
Address given (incorrectly) as 2620 Commonwealth (Source: Gebhard & Winter, A Guide to Architecture in Southern California, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1965, p. 57.)
Gebhard & Winter, Architectural Guide to Southern California, 1985, p.179: “Almost invisible, but it is here. A two story International style Modern design in stucco, glass & steel.” (N.B. Reference to stucco and two story is incorrect.)
Description of Architectural Interest: House is constructed of all steel columns, structural beams & roof deck/fascia. Glazing is floor to ceiling on north side with international modern style window bands on other elevations. Exterior and interior uses Japanese ash paneling for all walls & ceiling. Use of Carrera glass, Formica and adhesive attachment methods were new in the circa 1950 construction. Three other similar houses by Soriano are in Los Angeles.
Major Alterations: 1) Patio originally open, has been enclosed. Reopened 1989.
Resident, Marian Dodge, is a long-time Director of the Los Feliz Improvement Association, and served as president of the LFIA from 2007-2009.
Bed Rooms: 3
Area: 2,598 sqft
Year Built: 1951