In 2016, the Los Feliz Improvement Association will celebrate its 100th anniversary. Founded in 1916 by owner/developer William Mead, the association has been responsible for much of the neighborhood’s present day ambiance. Significant accomplishments over this time are the following:
LFIA Land-Use and Zoning Achievements:
- 1923: Successfully opposed business zoning north of Franklin Avenue with only a few exceptions.
- 1925: Relocation of realty offices away from Los Feliz Boulevard.
- 1929: Elimination of 40 businesses on Los Feliz Boulevard.
- 1932: Anti-vendor ordinance eliminates 37 vendor wagons on Los Feliz Boulevard.
- 1952: Last billboard on Los Feliz Boulevard removed.
- 1962: High rise apartments at current Los Feliz Estates site not allowed.
- 1964: Additional high rise apartments on Los Feliz Blvd. no longer allowed (after construction of the Towers)
- 1989: Community Vision Plan for Los Feliz published.
- 2011: Adoption of the Baseline Hillside ordinances.
LFIA Beautification Achievements
- 1912: William Mead first publishes his vision for Los Feliz streetscapes.
- 1921: Beautification set as one of the LFIA’s primary goals.
- 1922: First deodars planted on Los Feliz Boulevard.
- 1928: Improvement of Los Feliz Boulevard completed: widening, new lighting, and some buried utility lines.
- 1934: The last deodar cedars planted by the LFIA and the Los Feliz Women’s Club.
- 1935: Beginning of LFIA sponsored cleanups of properties, walkways, stairways, graffiti and streets.
- 1935-52: LFIA negotiated the removal of all billboards on Los Feliz Boulevard.
- 1937: LFIA Citizen’s Committee established for the construction of the Mulholland Fountain.
- 1940: Mulholland Fountain is completed.
- 1970: Deodar Cedars declared an Historical-Cultural Monument (#67).
- 1990: LFIA arranges for the placement of trash containers in the business improvement district.
- 1996: LFIA organizes restoration of the Mulholland Fountain
- 1998: LFIA supports the restoration of the Franklin (Shakespeare) Bridge.
- 2001: LFIA is a primary advocate for the completion of the Rowena Reservoir restoration.
- 2001-2009: LFIA supports restoration of buildings with its Annual Meliora Awards.
- 2009: LFIA Participates in the Western Avenue and Franklin Avenue streetscape designs.
- 2009: LFIA becomes an advocate for a new Sign Ordinance.
- 2009: LFIA is one of the main contributors to the Vermont Triangle beautification.
- Ongoing: LFIA supports landscaping at all the local Schools and continues to plant deodar Cedars.
Please click the following link for a short video showing LFIA’s role in planting and maintaining the Los Feliz Boulevard Deodar cedars.
LFIA School and Library Achievements
- 1925: LFIA lobbies for a new grade school, a new junior high school and a new high school.
- 1926: Thomas Starr King Junior High School and Franklin Elementary School open.
- 1930: With strong pressure from the LFIA, $450,000 is spent for construction of John Marshall High School plus $350,000 for land and $100,000 for equipment.
- 1931: John Marshall High School opens in January.
- 1971: LFIA is the successful prime advocate for the restoration rather than demolition of John Marshall High School following the 1971 Sylmar earthquake.
- 1986: LFIA offers the first LFIA-sponsored scholarships to graduating Marshall High School Seniors.
- 1997: LFIA makes several thousand dollars of targeted contributions to the four Los Feliz schools for the first time.
- 1998-today: LFIA formally adopts a policy of donating significant financial support to all Los Feliz schools.
- 2000: New Los Feliz Branch Library opens after years of advocacy by the LFIA.
- 2001: LFIA engineers the creation of the Gifted/Technology/Arts Magnet Program at Thomas Starr King Middle School, the first Magnet program in Los Feliz.
- 2004–today: LFIA remains a major supporter of the John Marshall High School Academic Decathlon Team.
- 2010: LFIA begins its annual awarding of the Charlotte De Armond Leadership Award to a graduating John Marshall High School Senior.
Streets and Traffic Achievements
- 1922 – today: LFIA advises the city on location of new signals and stop signs to improve traffic safety.
- 1922: LFIA supports a park bus transportation system.
- 1926: LFIA successfully advocates for expanded roads in the park, in particular a connection between Riverside Drive/Los Feliz Blvd. and Victory Boulevard.
- 1927: LFIA successfully supports a fourth park entrance at the northern end of Griffith Park Boulevard (subsequently closed).
- 1946: LFIA champions repair of sidewalks damaged by tree roots.
- 1954: LFIA successfully counters a proposal to widen Los Feliz Blvd. into a six-lane highway.
- 2000: LFIA successfully stops the relocation of the Children’s Museum to the corner of Los Feliz Blvd. and Riverside Drive to avoid additional traffic congestion.
- 2010: LFIA successfully fights proposals to allow off-road vehicles in Griffith Park.
- 2011: LFIA is successful in outlawing the sale of used cars on Los Feliz Blvd. and Franklin Avenue.
- 2011: LADWP Light Festival discontinued partly due to LFIA concerns about traffic congestion.